ChatBox

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day history: Does your family have a tradition of pranks?

April Fool's Day has been around since the 16th century, when the pope changed New Year's Day from April 1 to January 1.

Some people weren't aware of the change, and those who had the inside dope thought it would be fun to send them on "fool's errands'' and play pranks.

This doesn't always work so well with children. This morning, my kids didn't realize it was April Fool's day, and when my husband announced, "You have a delayed opening today because of a power outtage at school,'' they were thrilled. When he shouted "April Fool!'' my six-year-old son burst into tears and ran upstairs.

I had to convince him that daddy didn't mean to upset him, that it was a day to play jokes.

Then I warned him that he needed to be suspicious today--since people like to mess with your head on April Fool's Day. But the only thing that cheered him up was the empowering knowledge that he could play pranks, too, and that he should retaliate against dad.

First he ambushed my husband with a tickling attack, then he announced that it was ten degrees outside. When my husband pretended to fall for it, Nate felt much better.

They had no plans to play tricks on teachers, and neither did any of their friends. Last year, I wrote a post about how kids don't seem to celebrate April Fool's Day in school anymore. I remember how that was a big deal when I was a child, and I hope it makes a comeback.

As long as the jokes aren't malicious, April Fool's Day is a worthy tradition that celebrates chaos, confusion, trickery and laughter. We have plenty of the first two in our lives, but we could always use some of the latter.

Did your children play pranks on you today, or did you fool them?



Source: nj.com

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan