ChatBox

Friday, November 28, 2008

Baby bulge, be gone!

BEING pregnant doesn’t imply letting go of oneself and hiding thereafter in frumpy, oversized maternity wear. “Who says a woman is any less
desirable after she experiences motherhood?” asks a bootylicious Malaika Arora Khan, who was encouraged by husband, actor Arbaaz Khan to knock off her pregnancy flab. “I was shooting till my ninth month, so thanks to my active lifestyle I’d only put on 11 more kgs,” adds Khan, who resumed an hour-and-a-half of gymming, following a 40-day compulsory rest period.

It’s not just Bollywood yummy mummies vying for a perfect waistline. Inspired by a growing fitness revolution and a narcissist urge to ‘look good’, modern, urban women are sweating it out, post the delivery of their bundle of joy. “I’d gained 20 kgs, suffering from post-natal depression. My husband was seeing me bloat from M to XXL. Even our sex life was hit,” confesses 32-year-old corporate trainer Mrinalini Gupta, who soon found her calling on TV.

“There was this show featuring Hollywood siren Jessica Alba, who had shed 25 pounds of pregnancy weight within two months!” adds Gupta, who plunged headlong to fight the battle of the bulge. “I broke my eating pattern into small, low-fat meals per day, compensating my calorie intake with workouts. I began with meditation and yoga and gradually my trainer got me into running, kickboxing and power yoga,” says the glowing new mom who has knocked off her excess flab in three months.

Celeb fitness trainer Leena Mogre advises, “Your baby needs your time, but ‘a healthy you’ is also important. The body goes through a lot during pregnancy and it’s still in the recovering mode post delivery, so quick fixes don’t work. Opt for a gradual workout.” Medha Rajvanshy, a 28-year-old architect, who lost 15 kgs in five months with an effective combination of Pilates and a brisk walk, says, “Ask a professional for advice about getting your deep abdominals up to speed again.”

Sexy momma, actress Perizad Zorabian adds, “I was told by my friends to not over indulge, yet I piled on 13 kgs. It wasn’t a great feeling and I hated the way I looked. But regular exercise has thankfully made me get back to shape.”

Mogre further elaborates that an increasing number of women are also taking to Swiss Ball exercises to strengthen their abs and spine, apart from swimming sessions. Actress Mahima Chaudhary who knocked off 15 kgs stated in a glossy that post her weight drop, “people appreciated the way I looked. That motivated me and kept me going and finally, today I feel good about myself!” The key to sculpting your curves lies in starting early.

In her eighth month of pregnancy, actress Samita Bangargi, wife of actor Ashish Chowdhury, states, “I enrolled in a gym first to knock off an excess five kgs before I conceived, as I knew the weight gain women have to deal with once pregnant. Every day since then I work out for a half hour on the treadmill and half hour on the crosstrainer for two days in a week, followed by light weights, rope exercises, free hand squatting and a combination of pregnancy and Ashtanga yoga,” she says.

Actress Pooja Bedi too swears by the benefits of exercising one’s way to maternity. “I slipped easily into my evening gowns within 10 days of delivery and by the first month I was in my skinniest jeans!” says Bedi.

Knock it off!

Post delivery, stop eating for two and start exercising.

Don’t drink too much of milk just because you are feeding. Push up the fibre content. Avoid sugar.

Eat loads of fruits.

Cut down on tea and coffee.

Strengthen your core and back muscles for toning up your abs.

Indulge in a brisk 4-minute walk.

At home, try pranayam and breathing exercises or get a yoga instructor.

(As told by fitness expert Leena Mogre)


Source: timesofindia.indiatimes.com

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan